5 Places to Find Critique Partners

Photo credit: gerlos on Flickr
So we all know just how essential critique partners are if you’re serious about your writing career, but as someone who has had to search for CPs several times, I understand that it’s not always easy to find them.

The internet to me, is like space—it never ends and it’s constantly expanding. And while there are hoards of writers scouring the depths of cyberspace, it’s not always easy to pick out a couple select few for the purpose of ripping each other’s work apart giving each other feedback. This is particularly difficult if you don’t know where to look. 

That being said, I’ve devised a list of five great places to help you satisfy your CP searching needs. 
  1. Twitter. I’m pretty sure Twitter has made just about every one of my helpful lists for writers, and for good reason. I’ve found three CPs off Twitter alone, and most times, even when I use other sites, I contact the potential CP on Twitter. Why? Because people tend to check Twitter a lot more often than they check other sites, and it’s easy to get quick up-to-date information across in 140 characters. Combine this with the fact that there are LOADS of writers on Twitter, and you have an ocean of CP possibilities. 

  2. Ladies Who Critique. This one doesn’t really help the men (sorry!), but for you ladies out there looking for critique partners, this is a great place to start. After filling out a profile that covers everything from your critiquing availability and expertise, to the genres you like to read and write in, you can search for other CPs by groups, genres, or just free scrolling. I’ve had success with this site too, and while it isn’t as active as I might like, it’s a great place to start your search. 

  3. How About We CP.This is a great tumblr run by fabulous literary agent Jessica Sinsheimer. Writers searching for CPs submit a quick profile that covers contact info (Twitter or e-mail), interested genres, how honest they like their critique, and a bit about the writer and their MS. The entries get posted for public viewing pleasure, and you can contact each other for future swapping purposes. 

  4. YA Writers RedditAs well as just being an overall interesting and informative place of discussion, this reddit run by the NYT Bestseller Beth Revis and a few other fabulous writers, had a CP connection post earlier this month and there are more planned in the future. 

  5. CP Seek. Just as the title indicates, this is a great forum full of writers searching for critique partners. Like LWC, it isn’t updated quite as often as say, Twitter, but it’s another great place to start your search.  
So those are my top five to-go places when searching for CPs, now I want to hear from you: where do you go to find CPs?

Twitter-sized bites: 
Looking for a critique partner? Here are five CP-seeking resources you may want to check out. (Click to tweet)  
Where do you go to find critique partners? Writer @Ava_Jae shares her top five CP-seeking sites. (Click to tweet)

18 comments:

Emily said...

Also the NaNoWriMo forums and the writing contests that pop up on Twitter (although that probably comes under "Twitter"). I've never used any of those sites you've listed above. Maybe I should try them out :)

Laura Rueckert said...

Besides those you mentioned, SCBWI has a forum where you can meet CPs. I also found one during a contest when we mutually admired each other's entries.

Ava Jae said...

Great suggestions! I should utilize forums more often. Thanks, Emily! :)

Ava Jae said...

I'm assuming SCBWI is a member-only forum, right? Otherwise I imagine that'd be a great resource. And contests are another great suggestion. Thank you, Laura!

Melissa Maygrove said...

Great list!

Of my current, active CPs, I found one on AbsoluteWrite. The other I found on the Falling For Fiction blog during their 'Matchelor' CP match-up, although she wasn't the one they paired me with. We were allowed to ask to be connected with anyone we thought we might be a good fit with, so I asked to meet this other person. We hit it off. :)

For Christian Fiction writers, ACFW has a wonderful large crit group (and small ones, too, once you're established there). They train you and turn you loose. That's where I started out, before deciding I didn't want to write CF. I miss that crit group. They were wonderful.

Word of mouth can be good, too. Put the word out to your writing buddies that you're in the market for betas or critters. At least the people they recommend won't be total strangers. ;)

Ava Jae said...

AbsoluteWrite! Now that's a forum I keep telling myself I should join. I should get on that. :)


Blog match-ups are fantastic. The trick is just seeing them when they're fresh (I tend to be very good at finding them months later). The "Matcherlor" idea sounds fun, though.


Is ACFW a member-only forum? Just curious.


And word-of-mouth is a great resource, particularly when combined with Twitter. :) Thanks, Melissa!

Laura Rueckert said...

Yes, SCBWI is member only. But they really offer a lot. Online seminars with critique possibilities, conferences in different locations, networking, awards and even grants.

Ava Jae said...

Hmmm. I may have to look into that. Thanks for the recommendation!

Melissa Maygrove said...

Yes, ACFW is a members-only forum. But the large crit group is worth the price of membership alone. Also, there is a message board where one can ask questions (for research, about publishing, etc.) and get a bunch of answers very quickly. Another benefit is free online classes.

Ava Jae said...

Sounds like SCBWI. I'll have to look into those groups. Thanks!

Shay Dee said...

Hah! This came two weeks too late for me! I got me some awesome beta readers in the end but I'll be keeping this info in my folder. Thanks Ava :D

I found one of my readers on Absolutewrite and more on the betareaders thread over at Goodreads!

Ava Jae said...

A little late, maybe, but I'm glad to hear you found your betas. :) From the little I've seen, Absolutewrite seems to be a fantastic forum, and I didn't even realize Goodreads had a beta readers thread. Definitely good to know. Thank you, Shay!

Robin Red said...

Well look at that. I shouldn't have skimmed your blog directory ;)

Ava Jae said...

Ha ha no worries! Though for future reference, using the search bar (under "Looking for Something?") is much faster than scrolling through the directory when you're looking for something specific. :)

Carissa Taylor said...

Heehee, because Laura just tweeted, I'll jump into the convo 2 years late!

Maggie Stiefvater does an awesomesauce annual CP matchmaking on her blog. The link to the 2015 one here:

maggiestiefvater.com/blog/2015-critique-partner-love-connection/

Nicole Payne said...

This is awesome. So for finding CPs on Twitter, do u just send out a tweet? Are there hastags?

Ava Jae said...

There aren't any hashtags dedicated to finding CPs as far as I know, but yes, sending out a tweet often works. I've also connected just through chatting and talking about WIPs or through Twitter events. :)

Ava Jae said...

Yes! Great link. Thanks, Carissa! :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...